WHAT A NAME!
Yes. The name is a doozy! However I cannot take credit for it. It’s all over the internet and Pinterest. I heard a rumor that it was named this on a very popular cooking show, but that I cannot confirm.
Frankly, I don’t care what they are called…. I just want more of these in my life. Period.
WHAT IS IT?
Basically, this is a bar that includes cookies and brownies. The bottom layer is chocolate chip cookie dough, the middle layer is pre-made chocolate sandwich cookies, and the top layer is brownie batter.
For the chocolate chip cookie layer – I used the gluten free soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe I recently posted. In fact, I converted that recipe just so I could make this one! The original recipe came from the Cake by Courtney blog.
The chocolate sandwich cookie layer had to be gluten free (Sorry Oreos!) and there are many options out there and I’m sure many of them will work beautifully. My favorites are the gluten free Jo-Jo’s from Trader Joe’s. They taste exactly like their gluten filled brothers.
For the brownie layer, I had some King Arthur Gluten Free Brownie Mix, so I decided to use that. It’s ok to use pre-made boxed items sometimes. I was already dealing with a recipe conversion for the chocolate chip cookie dough so I wanted to keep this part easy and breezy.
The results were AMAZING!!!! They were ooey and gooey and sooooo delicious! I will be making this for events and gatherings for sure. There is no way that people will ever believe that these are gluten free.
For some reason, people think that if food or baked goods are gluten free that they must be terrible. I am not on the bandwagon. I will not eat subpar food regardless if I’m gluten free or not – so why would I promote a recipe that is anything other then fabulous?
Adapted from several pictures on Pinterest. I did not use any one specific slutty brownie recipe to create this one.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie dough recipe (I used this one from my blog!)
- Gluten Free chocolate sandwich cookies (I used Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Jo-Jo’s.)
- Prepackaged Gluten Free Brownie Mix (I used King Arthur’s Gluten Free Brownie Mix.)
- Ingredients to make the Gluten Free Brownie Mix (read package)
- Preheat oven to the temperature on the brownie mix instructions.
- Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper and spray it with gluten free cooking spray.
- Mix up the gluten free chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Divide the cookie dough, so that you have the amount of 12 cookies (My recipe makes 24 cookies so you just take half of the dough for this step). Take the dough and press it evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Place the chocolate sandwich cookies as a single/flat layer on top of the cookie dough. Use as many cookies as you can to make sure the area is covered. Do not overlap cookies.
- Mix up the gluten free brownie mix according to package.
- Evenly spread the brownie batter on top of the chocolate cookie layer.
- Bake in the oven for the amount of time your brownie batter requires. I did this and my brownie layer was a tad gooey in the middle – which I was completely fine with!!! If you are not, I would cover the brownies if they are still not done with foil and continue to bake until the brownie layer is how you prefer.
- Once baked, let them cool completely. This is critical so you can get them out of the pan in once piece without breaking. I put mine in the fridge and they were easy to pull out with the parchment paper once they were chilled.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!!!