A few weekends ago it was my neighbor’s 40th birthday – which is a huge milestone!!! I wanted to celebrate her in all of her special goodness and when I asked her, “Chocolate, Vanilla, or Both?” She chose “vanilla, all the way!”.
NOT A VANILLA GIRL
I am not a vanilla girl really. What I am is a yellow cake with chocolate frosting girl. Now that I can get behind completely. But vanilla cake with vanilla frosting? Um, not my fav.
So that is when the wheels started churning.
Recently I tried the Smashmallow Cinnamon Churro gourmet marshmallows. They are absolutely divine and a treat you’ll want to keep on having. A bonus is that they are naturally gluten free and the ingredients are pretty wholesome too.
How could I make a treat around this fabulous marshmallow?
INSERT A FAVORITE BLOG
This is where one of my very favorite blogs, “Cake by Courtney“, comes into play. She has the most beautiful churro cake recipe that is drool worthy. Since her version was not gluten free, how could I spin this into something that was gluten free.
Basically what I decided to do is use the cinnamon frosting from Courtney’s overall churro cake recipe and do something a bit different with the cake part. She also uses the Smashmallow Cinnamon Churro marshmallows on her design. So now I had two components of my creation!
When I went to make the frosting though? I realized I didn’t have cinnamon. Seriously – I had the butter and the powdered sugar in the bowl when this went down. So I asked my husband who was running to the store anyway, to pick up some cinnamon. Well folks, he came home with cinnamon sugar – which is cinnamon and granulated sugar mixed. I had to use it… there was no turning back….and it was AWESOME!!!!
THE CAKE PART
So now, I had to figure out the cake. I could make my own homemade cake… but I wasn’t feeling it and that’s ok. So I used the King Arthur gluten free yellow cake mix – HOWEVER, I do not follow their directions.
The first time I used their cake mix, I followed the directions. The cake was good but it was more of like a pound cake. The directions were also pretty tedious. I’m not tedious.
So I just throw all the ingredients into the mixer bowl at once and you get a less dense cake and it is delicious!!!
Adapted from Cake by Courtney for the frosting.
- One box of yellow cake mix that makes 24 cupcakes.
- I used King Arthur’s Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix.
- If you use this mix – throw all the ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix until fully blended – this gives the best result in my opinion.
- Divide into 12 jumbo cupcake liners in the jumbo cupcake tin (like this one).
- Bake as directed and cool completely.
- 1 cup of softened salted butter
- 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon sugar (this is cinnamon mixed with granulated sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Mix all ingredients until blended and then turn on the mixer (with the paddle attachment) and let it go for 2-4 minutes – I don’t usually time it. I just make sure there are no lumps and everything soft and fluffy.
- Use a jumbo cake decorating tip (like this one) in a large piping bag.
- Put the frosting in the piping bag and pipe desired design on the cupcakes.
The Caramel Sauce:
- You can make your own but I did not – I used Smucker’s Simple Delight Salted Caramel Topping.
- I just warmed it up a bit using 30 second intervals in the microwave until I got the drippy consistency I was looking for.
- I then just drizzled it over the top of each cupcake starting at the top of the butter cream.
- After the cupcake is all assembled to this point, I just topped each one with one cinnamon churro smashmallow!!
- Which by the way, I just found them at my Super Target!! WIN!!!